Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category.
The weather is warming up and it’s time to register and start training for the 38th annual Run Through the Hills 5k! Once again, the 5k run will take place on July 4, 2017, starting and finishing at Selby Park in verdant Colonial Hills.
Race registration is OPEN, so register now!
Pre-registration is open now through July 1. Check-in starts on the day of the race at 7:30am, with the race starting promptly at 8:30am. Cost is $20. Registration includes an athletic shirt (for 1st 150 registrants), race bib with embedded chip for timing, awards, refreshments, and a great time running through the hilly tree-lined streets of Colonial Hills neighborhood (race map here). Click here to register online. Mail-in registration is also available, click here to download the form to print, complete, and mail-in with your check. NOTE: if you are registering multiple people, please register and pay for each person separately so that we can capture details for each runner (name, age, gender).
Following the 5k run, Colonial Hills Independence Day Extravaganza will continue, with bounce-houses, midway games, music, and food 10am-1pm.
More info to come – looking forward to a great event again this year!
We’ve gotten a little behind with the website of late, so here are a few updates from Q4 2016:
- New CHCA officers: at the November 2016 meeting, officers were elected. Congratulations and welcome to new CHCA President Ken Paul, and Co-Secretaries John Cecil & Edward Doty! Also, a hearty thank-you to our outgoing officers: Doug Knight (president) and Kelly Jaeger (secretary) – thanks for all your service! If you want to contact the officers for any reason, please see the Contact page.
- 2016 Holiday Lighting Contest Winners – Thanks to all who took the time and care to decorate – the neighborhood looked great! Here are the winners as determined by this year’s mystery judges:
- Best Overall – First Place: “Dr. Seuss Does Christmas” 435 Park Boulevard
- Best Overall – Second Place: “Slam Dunk Santa” 71 Southington
- Best Overall – Third Place: “Hidden Christmas/Nativity Wonderland” 5531 Indianola Avenue
- Most Artistic: “Great Balls of Xmas!” 546 Colonial Avenue
- Best Retro: “Memories of 1960s Cartoon with Rudolph and the ABS*” 287 Loveman Avenue
- Best Front Door – First Place: “Stairway to Heaven” 244 Colonial
- Best Front Door – Second Place: “ A-Dorable Double Doorway” 334 Kenbrook
- Best Front Door – Third Place: “The Reason for the Season” 568 Meadoway
- Most Lit Up – “HO HO HO WoW!!! Where are my Sunglasses?” 426 N. Selby
Start making your decorating plans now for 2017!
- Trustees: we could use a couple of new Trustees to help with CHCA deliveries to a set of 15-20 homes. Responsibilities are basically to deliver the CHCA Courier about 4x per year, conduct the membership drive in the spring, and distribute the luminaria in December. This can be a great way to help the neighborhood; it would also count for CH service hours for any high school students who might eventually apply for a CHCA scholarship! Please contact President Ken Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Here’s to a great start to 2017!
Happy (Gregorian) New Year!
Applications are now available for the CHCA 2017 Educational Scholarship! All graduating high school seniors who will be pursuing any educational program after high school are eligible (e.g. college, vocational, technical, business institutes, etc).
Applications are available here (MS Word) and here (PDF), or using the links on the right-hand side of the colonialhills.us page. Due date is April 28 (postmarked Apr 21 if mailed); see application for additional details.
In addition to information about academic and extracurricular activities, it is necessary for an applicant to attend at least one CHCA monthly meeting and have neighborhood service hours. See calendar at right for more details on upcoming CHCA meetings and events.
HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS: this is a great opportunity to earn / win some money to help pay for the next steps in your education! There is still time to get neighborhood service hours by attending meetings, helping with planning for upcoming events, and distributing Couriers for those districts with no current Trustee.
Juniors & Sophomores, take a look at the application and start working on the requirements now for when it’s your turn!
Congratulations to everyone who participated in the CHCA 2016 Run Through the Hills 5k! With over 200 runners this year, we had a great event. Special congratulations to our overall winners: Jonathan Allen (16:32.9) and Claire Steigerwald (19:41.3); well done!
Complete results are posted here.
Pictures from the race and rest of the Independence Day celebration coming soon!
NOTE: results updated (7/7/2016) to reflect changes to the 60-99 Men’s and Women’s places due to a bib mixup that was self-reported by the participants and corrected. Anita Snively is our new women’s 60-99 champion! Results for all other age groups were unaffected.
Summer is here – time to start getting ready for our annual 4th of July Celebration and “Run Through the Hills” 5k run! All events take place at Selby Park on July 4, 2016. 5k check-in starts at 7:30am, race starts promptly at 8:30am. Independence Day Extravaganza with bounce-houses, midway games, music, and food occurs 10am-1pm.
5k race registration is OPEN! Cost is $15 for pre-registrations completed / received before July 1, 2016; $20 registration day of the race. Registration includes a T-shirt (for 1st 150 registrants), awards, refreshments, and a great time running through the hilly tree-lined streets of Colonial Hills neighborhood (race map). Click here to register online. Mail-in registration is also available, click here to download the form to print, complete, and mail-in with your check. NOTE: if you are registering multiple people, please register and pay for each person separately so that we can capture details for each runner (name, age, gender).
As for the Independence Day Extravaganza, we are upgrading this year: new chairperson (Jenny Kendall), new games, CH-resident-owned Kenny’s Meat Wagon food truck, Kona Shaved Ice food truck (shaved ice treats paid for by CHCA), and round tables under the big tent to better enjoy the day.
More info to come – looking forward to a great event this year!
Applications are now available for the CHCA 2016 Educational Scholarship! All graduating high school seniors who will be pursuing any educational program after high school are eligible (e.g. college, vocational, technical, business institutes, etc).
Applications are available here (MS Word) and here (PDF), and are due April 12; see application for additional details. In addition to the usual sort of information & requirements, it is necessary for an applicant to attend at least one CHCA monthly meeting (Tuesday, March 8 is the next one) and have neighborhood service hours (Easter egg hunt still needs volunteers March 12 & 19!). See calendar at right for more details on upcoming CHCA events.
We hope to have a number of applicants this year– get on it Seniors! And Juniors & Sophomores, we offer this scholarship opportunity every year, download the application so you can start working on the requirements now.
Hope everyone enjoyed the luminary lighting last weekend! While we were all wandering the streets taking in the sights of our beautiful neighborhood, our judges were busy evaluating holiday decorations. Here are the winners of our CHCA 2015 Holiday Home Decorating Contest:
Best Front Door
1st Place: 468 Meadoway
2nd Place: 5631 Indianola
3rd Place: 451 Park Overlook
426 Selby North
435 Selby North
Honorable Mention (Best Blow-Up)
1st Place: 426 Selby North
2nd Place: 71 Southington
3rd Place: 143 Lakeridge
Thanks everyone for your participation and hard work to get your homes looking good. And thanks to Kelly Jaeger for recruiting judges and coordinating the awards. Signs are being posted on a rolling basis and pictures will be posted here soon.
Happy holidays Colonial Hills!
Turnout was outstanding for our Luminary Kit Assembly and Holiday Party this past weekend– thanks to everyone who helped! Participation for the luminary kit assembly was particularly noteworthy- what took 3 people over 8 hours to do in 2014 was accomplished by 20+ people in under an hour this year. Many hands make light work! Plus it’s a great experience for us to work together with our neighbors to make Colonial Hills truly “The Friendly Community” in action as well as in spirit. Special thanks to Will Pearce for coordinating luminary assembly year after year and making it a success. If you haven’t already received your luminary kit, it should be arriving on your porch soon via your trustee.
This upcoming Sunday evening, December 13 at 7pm, will be our Luminary Night as well as judging for the Holiday Home Decorating Contest. Be sure to set up & light your luminaries at 7pm, turn on all your outside decorations, turn off your porchlights and other non-holiday lights, and then wander the neighborhood and enjoy the festive spirit! If possible, please do not leave any vehicles parked in the streets between 7-9pm so that people can fully enjoy the sights. There will also be hot cocoa at the Selby Shelterhouse starting at 7pm for a casual holiday gathering.
As reported by Realtor.com, Colonial Hills is in the 2nd “hottest” ZIP code in the US for the first half of 2015! A few highlights from the article, which was re-reported by a number of news agencies:
- “Homes in these top 10 communities sell four to nine times faster than the national average, and spend 20 fewer days on the market than their respective metropolitan statistical areas. Their listings on our site are viewed three to eight times more often than overall U.S. listings—an average of 2.3 times more often than their respective metros.”
- “‘Each locale on this list is emblematic of the key trends driving housing this year—healthy local economics, job opportunities, and affordability,’ said Jonathan Smoke, chief economist of realtor.com®. ‘For first-time home buyers, these communities provide great opportunities to enter the housing market, build a career, and raise a family; older generations are able to build wealth and enjoy a variety of lifestyles.'”
Read the entire article here: http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/top-10-hottest-zip-codes-in-america/.
Looking good Colonial Hills!